Secondary and higher education in Montenegro

Every year more and more citizens of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus choose Montenegro as their permanent place of residence, and among them there are quite a lot of families with children. In this regard, there is a need to obtain secondary and higher education, which in terms of knowledge is in no way inferior to the countries of the former Yugoslavia and Eastern Europe, including Russia, and in some ways even significantly surpasses them.

Secondary education in Montenegro is compulsory for everyone without exception, so “homeschooling”, based only on the wishes of the parents, is absent here as such. Children go to the first grade of a general education school after they are 6 years old, although if a child shows outstanding abilities, no one will limit him to age limits. The only restriction that was introduced in 2018 is the so-called territorial principle, when enrollment is made in the nearest school, based on the place of registration of the family. However, this principle does not apply when the older brother or sister is already studying at some educational center.

Schools in Montenegro

Enrollment in a secondary school in Montenegro, which usually takes place from April to August, requires at a minimum an interview with the administration, a birth certificate, a foreign passport and a health certificate, although this can also be obtained through a medical examination at a local clinic. If the child has already studied in his homeland, then in this case he will need a translated (into Montenegrin or Serbian) and notarized report card.

In order to obtain a certificate of complete secondary education in Montenegro, you need to study for 12 years – the same as in the vast majority of countries of the European Union, of which it should become a member in the foreseeable future. This rule applies to both public and private schools, including the so-called “Russian” ones. The latter are mainly concentrated in Budva and Podgorica, are paid and are designed for “temporary immigrants” who, for one reason or another, were forced to obtain a residence permit in Montenegro.

Higher education in Montenegro

As for higher education in Montenegro, the choice seems small compared to secondary schools, but it fully satisfies the demand from both permanent residents of the country and foreigners. At the moment, there are three universities operating in Montenegro – two private and one public. All of them are based in the capital of the country, Podgorica, which can be easily reached from most major population centers.

1. University of Montenegro (Univerzitet Crne Gore). The only state university in the country, which was founded back in 1974. It has 10 faculties and 7 branches located in the cities of Cetinje (3), Kotor (2), Niksic (1) and Herceg Novi (1).

2. University Mediteran (Univerzitet Mediteran). The first private university in Montenegro, opened in 2006 – almost immediately after the declaration of independence. Offers training in seven faculties.

Private universities in Montenegro

3. University of Donja Gorica (Univerzitet Donja Gorica). It was founded in 2007 and includes 13 faculties, as well as its own center for the study of foreign languages.

Students of all Montenegrin universities are given the opportunity to study three foreign languages ​​- first of all, English, then Italian, German and French, which is explained by the large influx of tourists from these countries. It is tourism that is given priority at the state level, and other most popular areas include economics and information technology.

The minimum duration of study at Montenegrin universities for a bachelor’s degree program is 3 years. At the same time, there are master’s and doctoral programs lasting 2 and 3 years, respectively. From a financial point of view, the cost of training is more than affordable – on average from 500 to 2500 euros per year, and at the same time, a higher education diploma in Montenegro is valued in Europe higher than its Russian counterpart and opens the way to employment in any EU country.

Source link